AMMPT Logo spacer cinemaweb
spacer
spacer
WA CinemaWeb search spacer about spacer acknowledgements spacer comments spacer corrections spacer links spacer spacer



 
backbutton

Found: 

details_name details_othernames details_town
MAJESTIC None Fremantle 

results_divline.gif

details_address.gif details_type.gif details_active.gif
115(formerly 137) High St, Fremantle IN closed

results_divline.gif

details_details.gif
115(formerly 137) High St, Fremantle
MAJESTIC

Photograph of cinema

The Connolly syndicate built and ran the Majestic theatres, opening first in Perth, then in Fremantle and Kalgoorlie. The Fremantle Majestic seated 1000, and was described as 'a fine, imposing structure of generous proportions' (West Australian, 9 December 1916), when it opened on 23 December 1916, after the official ceremony had been postponed for a day because of a power failure. In August 1918 the lease was taken over by J.C.W. Films, and in 1927 it became a Hoyts theatre, which it remained till it closed on 25 July 1938, in anticipation of the opening of Hoyts Fremantle. In fear that the Majestic lease would be taken over by another company who might operate in competition with their new theatre, Hoyts employees destroyed the fixtures and fittings on the day they vacated the premises, and opened the next day in the new theatre. The site was then occupied by a Homecrafts store, but the logo (MT) was still (at least to 1997) visible in the wrought iron of the balcony railings.

Sources:
City of Fremantle, Rate Books
Fremantle Library, collection of cuttings
Public Works Department (Battye 1459)
Max Bell, Perth: a cinema history, The Book Guild, Lewes, 1986 p.32
Hoyts Screen News, 1931 - 2
Post Office Directory, 1917 - 1938/9
West Australian, 2 Jan.1920 - 20 June 1920
Interview (Ina Bertrand): Ken Booth (1978)
Interview (Ina Bertrand & Bill Turner): Jack Gynn (1981)
Photos:
2 exteriors (different angles), colour, 1981 (Bill Turner) Link to image